Go and Sin No More | John 7:53 - 8:11
Aaron Gray | April 8, 2018
In this sermon, Pastor Aaron addresses the textual history behind this fascinating passage, and how this story perfectly illustrates the idea that "the law came through Moses, grace and truth came through Jesus Christ."
- How do you respond when you hear “this section of John was added later?” How can we have confidence in the reliability of the Scriptures? If God is leading you to study this more, what steps might you take?
- How does this story of Jesus’ grace toward the woman perfectly demonstrate John 1:17? How do law, grace, and truth all work together as gifts from God?
- How does understanding the purpose of the law help us to avoid the trap of putting down the Old Testament, or ignoring it altogether?
- For Community Groups, consider separating guys and ladies this week to discuss areas of sexual sin: both sins we’ve committed and those committed against us. Minister God’s grace to each other, then encourage each other to walk in obedience in light of God’s grace.
- Pray that God would help us to be a church of radical grace and radical transformation, even in sensitive and potentially volatile areas like sexuality.
- Pray for opportunities to show Jesus’ amazing grace to those who only think of Christians as harsh, judgmental, and condemning.
For Further Study on the Reliability of the New Testament
- Dan Wallace, Center for the Study of New Testament Manuscripts
- Dan Wallace, Is the New Testament We Have Now What They Wrote Then?
- Shane Patrick, Jesus Sends from the Gospel of Mark (April 2015)
- Fragments of Truth documentary event