Week 3 | Your Kingdom Come
Aaron Gray | August 16, 2015
- What is the kingdom of God? How are we participants in his kingdom today?
- What is “God’s will?” Explore the different senses of the term.
- What are some of the challenges of knowing God’s will and how can we address them?
- How can we grow in obedience to God’s will? How can we help one another?
- Read 1 Peter 2:9-12. How does Peter encourage us to live now that we’re part of God’s kingdom?
- Pray for people and situations that are broken and ask for God’s kingdom to come. Be others-centered. (Note: please exercise discretion in sharing personal details about others. Give no place to gossip.)
- Pray that Sound City Bible Church would follow Jesus as he builds and spreads his Kingdom.
- Pray we those who are captured in the kingdom of darkness would come to know Jesus and his Kingdom.
- Q123. Which is the second petition?
- “Thy kingdom come”; that is, rule us so by thy word and Spirit, that we may submit ourselves more and more to thee; preserve and increase thy church; destroy the works of the devil, and all violence which would exalt itself against thee; and also all wicked counsels devised against thy holy word; till the full perfection of thy kingdom take place, wherein thou shalt be all in all.
- Q124. Which is the third petition?
- A. “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven”; that is, grant that we and all men may renounce our own will, and without murmuring obey thy will, which is only good; that everyone may attend to, and perform the duties of his station and calling, as willingly and faithfully as the angels do in heaven.
For Further Reading & Study
- Alone With God by John MacArthur, ch. 5 & 6
- The Prayer of the Lord by R.C. Sproul, ch. 4 & 5
- Growing in Christ by J.I. Packer, part 3, ch. 6, 7, & 8
- The Lord and His Prayer by N.T. Wright, ch. 2